Building great people, because great people build great families and great families build great communities.
To God be the glory!

Wednesday, August 22, 2007


Part Two ....
Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, [and] rivers in the desert.

As a youngster I had myself many adventures along Forty Mile Creek in Grimsby, Ontario. Many a Saturday I would spend the whole day scrambling over boulders and searching caves along the banks of this awesome creek. Although I almost drowned on one occasion, the creek has always held a special place among my childhood memories.

However, now that I'm a bit older and less likely to be scrambling over the rocks (although I still can, really!) I favor the pathways through the woods (wilderness). But, O the Saturday adventures... Bag lunch (Mock Meat Chicken Loaf) or a campfire with a hotdog or two.... ahhhh!

5 comments:

Being Mrs Miles said...

Ok - I DARE not ask what Mock Meat Chicken really is... tho I think its like something kids would never question as you probably just don't have to chew it...

But it's good to know you could still crawl about in the river if you had to. Sort of how sometimes I love that though my adult brain tells me to use an umbrella or avoid the rain, the child in me still likes to get out in the rain and splash about in the puddles, getting all wet!

Thanks for your journalling. Looking forward to Sunday!

Barb

The sometimes Irreverant Ed Brouwer said...

Well, you are not sure about Mock Meat Chicken Loaf.... it was packaged like Bologna, kind of a greyish tan coloured meat usually square slices trimmed with an orange colored substance. Does that ring any bells?

C-U Sunday

Becky Wolfe said...

Barb took the words out of my mouth re: mock meat chicken loaf. *shudder* and then I read your description and it sounds familiar. Not a good memory!

I was never nimble around water and still don't enjoy hopping across logs or stones. Give me terra firma under my feet or a bridge. But I did spend many hours exploring along the edges & cliffs of Deep Creek & Hardy Falls in Peachland...I just never got TOO close to the water.

The sometimes Irreverant Ed Brouwer said...

We are all such complex people... one recollection from our past, serves only to uproot some other memory stored away in our thought files. As a youngster (8-12) I spent as many Saturdays outside. Whether alone or with a few buddies I'd go on bike hikes (one speed pedal bikes) or Creek adventures, hikes on the Niagra Escarpment (wanna be mountain) or one of my "King Of The Road" train track treks. The rail bed still calls out sometimes, even 44 years later... early spring sunshine on the ties, the smell of cresote', the heat waves shimmering off of the rails and the rails fading off into the distance...

Hey girls, Mock Meat Chicken loaf was still better than that Maccaroni Loaf!

Becky Wolfe said...

ewww - yes, I'll agree on that one. Mac loaf was a bad invention!

Isn't it nice that the things that brought us joy in childhood still brings us joy now. There is no city girl in me!