Building great people, because great people build great families and great families build great communities.
To God be the glory!

Monday, January 28, 2008

"My Cup Runneth Over"

The following story so moved me that I immediately purchased three silver goblets, had them engraved as per the following account and gave them to our children. Perhaps one day when they most need it they will remember this gift of encouragement.

Deborah, a beautiful 38 year old, former model and mother of two teenage boys was dying of cancer. She already had undergone surgery, but some of the cancer either had evaded the scalpel or had grown anew in the area where chest, neck and arm meet. Because the woman was in an extremely weakened condition, the surgeon called in a consulting physician to help in determining whether or not Deborah would be able to withstand further surgery. After examining the woman, the consulting physician told her that he was going to recommend against the surgery.

“You don’t think I’m strong enough to survive it?” she asked. The doctor replied, “In my professional opinion, weighing your condition against the risk of the surgery, and the potential benefits…” and then he broke off his response. He was unable to finish telling the woman that he could see no hope for her. But Deborah had other ideas. “I want you to change your recommendation,” she said.

Then she pointed to a silver goblet standing on the night table. “My father gave me this cup when I was a little girl,” she explained. “Read the inscription”. The doctor read the inscription aloud - a phrase from the 23rd Psalm. “My cup runneth over”. Then Deborah said, “My father told me that the cup of life is never half-empty or half-full, it’s always overflowing with possibility. He said that it didn’t matter what terrible things were happening, if I had conviction, if I believed in God and myself, my cup would never run dry. My cup would always be a source of life, inspiration, strength, love and everything else I could possibly need.” “With God all things are possible”

Then Deborah took hold of the water pitcher on the night table and poured water into the cup until it flowed over the brim and splashed on the table top. She said, “My cup runneth over with conviction. It will never run dry. I will have surgery and somehow I will survive and I will live to see my two boys become men. You doctors take care of my body. God AND I WILL TAKE CARE OF THE REST.”

Deborah had surgery…and she did survive...and she lived to see her two boys become men.

The Gathering Place exists to facilitate and nurture meaningful relationships, and to recognize, honor, and acknowledge each members calling. Above all we desire to help you connect with God. If there is anything we can do to assist you, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Senior Pastors (Rev.) Ed and Judi Brouwer, Community Pastor Casey Brouwer

2 comments:

#$@%^$# said...

Wow, that is really inspiring and beautiful, brought tears to my eyes, I may have to run out and by myself a silver goblet :) when I can and have it engraved, thanks, that was anice thing to read right now, you guys always encourage and inspire me, bless you :)

Korina & the girls

The sometimes Irreverant Ed Brouwer said...

:)You are welcome... to God be the glory!