Building great people, because great people build great families and great families build great communities.
To God be the glory!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

In Case You Were Wondering

Last week I felt the Lord speaking to me to lead the way to restoration. So as Good Friday came closer I became more anxious as to what He meant by that. That same week I heard that the Oliver PAOC pastor had just resigned. I was certainly concerned as to what keeps happening in our valley. My previous post at Osoyoos Christian Centre has had 25 senior pastors in 70 years.

Now with the Oliver church vacant it meant another "re-start" not only in the church but in the community. Sweet Jesus, what has happened to a calling that last longer than the honeymoon? Is it the spirit of God moving pastors on to a "new" work or is this a subtle tactic of the enemies of the cross? I have grown to love the Oliver pastor so out of concern I called him to see what was up. During the phone call I mentioned the joint service. He said he had not heard about it, but would like to come.

Two days before Good Friday the new pastor for OCC came spend some time with me. As we fellowshiped and prayed together it became very clear to me that I had hurt some people during my ministry in Osoyoos. I had certainly disobeyed the PAOC District office in carrying on with the Gathering Place. There was certainly a lot going through my mind.

Late Thursday night, early Friday morning I woke up with a picture forming in my mind - I saw myself standing before the Good Friday crowd in my old farm jacket holding my old stetson. So early Good Friday I went to pray at the office. Had I not gone then I would not have been able to attend the service. For the road unknown to me was sheer black ice and was in fact closed for two hours as they dealt with 6 motor vehicle incidents.

As I was walking up and down in the office - praying, sweating, near sick to my stomach... Keith and Lynne popped in - they gave me a funny look and asked if I was sick... when I explained the situation they understood. They had forgotten about the service but dropped what they were doing and went with me. Trevor and Kate were there as well. Casey was held up with working at the accident scenes on the hill.

As I arrived at the church, the Oliver pastor met me and we walked in together. As he sat down I whispered to him to pray for me, he looked at me and smiled. (I found out today the Lord had woken him up to pray at 5:30 that morning and when he ask what it was he was supposed to pray about the Lord clearly said, Ed Brouwer) I got goose bumps when he told me that.

Any way back at the service as I came forward to share a scripture reading I put on the old jacket and holding my hat as I had invisioned, I stated very carefully, "I stand before you hat in hand. Last year I had the honor of preaching the Good Friday message, yet a year later I have been involved in a church split". I then stated that at times I get tunnel vision and in my going for the goal I unintentionally hurt people in the sidelines. I asked for forgiveness and then asked the new pastor of OCC to forgive me... I was overwhelmed by the response, the new OCC pastor and the Baptist pastor (he has been very concerned for me) came almost running to stand by me and embracing me they prayed.

Then Jim (OCC) looked at the crowd and said folks if you can't recieve this as genuine then you need to deal with God. Then he hugged on me and whispered "That was the bravest thing I have ever seen, and Ed, I believe you." Whow! Praise the Lord for what he began on Good Friday. The freedom that came was awesome!

About a dozen and a half people came and embraced me after the service. Two dear seniors came and asked me to forgive them. God bless them...

Tuesday was awesome. Prayer meeting was well attended and went until 10 (2 hours) then a young man came in needing counciling and I was able to pray with him. Pastor Jim called and we prayed about a Critical Incident Stress Management program for pastors. I went for lunch with Trevor and had some great fellowship; Keith and Lynne dropped by (they are so special), Beckie came for a visit, while I was meeting with Pastor Dave from Oliver. Lawerence came by again, Brady and Gloria stopped in and then it was 5:30 and time to go home....

I guess you can say that I am flying pretty high - God is on the move.

Please pray for:
Keith - dealing with cancer
Lynne - sister in law needs a healing
Pastor Jim - presenting his CISM idea to PAOC
Pastor Dave - as he and his wife seek God's direction
Pastor Phil - as he leads his flock in Osoyoos
Pastor Casey - direction for full time work and El Salvador mission trip in May
Our church family - some needing employment, others need a healing and unsaved love ones, and as always our market place mission in Osoyoos.

1 comment:

#$@%^$# said...

Bless you Ed,

What a powerful post, and It sounds like it was all very amazing...wish I had been there. When it comes down to it, I love the way God works and speaks to us...although I haven't had anything as powerful as you and your fellow pastors...yet ;)