Building great people, because great people build great families and great families build great communities.
To God be the glory!

Monday, February 18, 2008

Don’t tell me show me!

As we are seeking God’s wisdom in bringing forth a “Christianity That Works”, I am becoming more and more convinced that the modern day church is filled with individuals with dual personalities. Their lips form all the right words, but their actions destroy any credibility those words held.

Nearly 800 years ago Saint Francis of Assisi is said to have exhorted his followers to “preach the Gospel at all times, but only use words if necessary!”

I must confess that as I get older, I am much more impressed with what people do than with what they say. I love how Ralph Waldo Emerson put it, when he said, “What you are shouts so loudly in my ears I cannot hear what you say.”

Anyone can talk about love. Anyone can sign up to be a spouse, parent, boss, coach, or teacher, but when the going gets tough, then we see what we’ve got.

Loving others is about doing the right thing. It has very little to do with romance or emotions, and nothing to do with words, it is all about doing. So if you have something to say, perhaps a “word” to change my life, go ahead I’d be more than happy to watch ;)

No comments: