Building great people, because great people build great families and great families build great communities.
To God be the glory!

Thursday, January 04, 2007

From The Back Pew V

Every Christian is a contradiction to this old world. He crosses it at every point. He goes against the grain from beginning to end. From the day that he is born again until the day that he goes on to be with the Lord, he must stand against the current of a world always going the other way.

God expects him to be "beside himself," "a fool for Christ's sake," "drunk on new wine."

If he allows it, men will tone him down, steal the joy of his salvation, and reduce him to the dreary level of the general average. If the devil cannot keep us from being saved, he next endeavors to make average Christians of us, and in this he usually succeeds. He tames the holy recklessness of God's dare-saints until they sink into the drab pattern of most of us, "faultily faultless, icily regular, splendidly dull."

The devil does not mind our joining church if we behave like most of those who are already inside. But when a real, wide-awake Christian breezes along, taking the Gospel seriously, the devil grows alarmed and begins plotting his downfall. He gets plenty of assistance right in the church, for many church folk do not like to have their Laodicean complacency upset by these who turn the world upside down. So they conspire with Satan to turn the young Christian's fever into a chill. There are always plenty of human wet blankets to smother the zealot's flame, and they have put out more spiritual fires than have all the skeptics and infidels.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am so guilty of allowing the devil be upset with the new zealous Christians coming into my church at one time. What was I so afraid of? That they would actually stir me up to be zealous myself? I'm not sure but I pray that this will no longer continue in my life and I pray that I won't allow others around me to tear the zealous Christian down as well. Thanks Dave!

In His Love,
Jaime

P.S. I will bookmark your blog so I can read your entries when I have the time. Thanks again!

The sometimes Irreverant Ed Brouwer said...

Hey Jamie

Thanks for dropping us a line.

I pray that God's fire will burn deep in your heart. May you become one of God's fire starters.

Ed